Philips GoGear HDD16x0 & HDD63x0 Series
The Philips GoGear HDD16x0 and HDD63x0 series of DAPs are different devices internally (except SoC
and the codec). The HDD16x0 has a 6GB microdrive and a 128x128x16 LCD, whereas the HDD63x0 has a 30GB 1.8" hard drive and a 220x176x16 LCD. The touchpad is also different between the two. There are three known models of the HDD16x0 series: the HDD1630, the HDD1620, and the HDD1635. The major differences between the HDD1620 and HDD1630 is the inclusion of an FM radio tuner on the HDD1630. Little information is known about the HDD1635. There is also HDD1420 (4GB, without radio) and the HDD1830 (8GB, with radio).
Mark Arigo committed code for the HDD1630 to SVN on 2008-06-27, and additional code to branch the HDD6330 off into its own port on 2009-12-25.
Here is what's needed for both ports:
If your HDD63X0 doesn't want to play audio under OF, or is almost unresponsive in Rockbox (doesn't want to play audio too), you had to hit the hardware bug, which is associated with switching the I2C bus to the cradle, when you plug the cable.
This bug can only be triggered in OF, by just plugging the plug to the player and then unplugging it. You don't have to be connected to the PC.
Technical notes: OF sets the GPO32 - bit 0x10 after plugging the plug (switches I2C to the cradle, U515), and unsets it after unplugging, but it doesn't help. The I2C bus hangs till the real powering off, by the 8th bit of Port_B. A reset with headphones plugged in helps too somehow (note that this doesn't reset the player really, more this turns off it), probably it causes cut-off voltage of the system, like in case of Port_B.
In summary, all you can do about it is to reset the player with the headphones connected, or wait patiently until Rockbox will turn off normally (hold the power button and wait).
- Touchpad controller:
- Synaptics T1005G 0538 ACP5060-13
- Flash: SST39WF400A "Silicon Storage Technology, Inc. :: 4 Mbit (x16) Multi-Purpose Flash"
- HDD1630: 32M - Samsung K4S56163PF or Hynix HY5V56F or equivalent (4M X 16bit X 4 banks)
- HDD6330: 64M - Samsung K4S51163PF or equivalent (8M X 16bit X 4 banks mobile SDRAM)
- HDD1630: 1.5" 128x128, controller - Leadis Technology LDS176 (132x132 4k) or LDS186 (128x160 64k) (based on the registers found in the OF disassembly).
- HDD6330: 1.9" 220x176 - LPH-9165-2 made by Philips, display is very similar to the one of the three used in Siemens S65 phone: Sharp LS020, and the registers are very similar to the ones found by the author of this site.
- TV OUT (HDD63X0 only): ADV7179
- HD connector has the markings "PWA-ARIZONA_HDD_FPC_EMI" on the ribbon cable
("Arizona" is the code name of the HDD6330. "Phoenix" is the code name of the HDD1630.)
This trick will allow you to connect either the HDD16x0 or HDD63x0 to your computer as a UMS device.
- Connect the player to the PC.
- On the player, press and hold "Power On" & "Vol +" until the unit resets.
- Quickly press and hold "Vol -" until the PC picks up the unit and shows it as removable drive.
Installation steps for HDD63x0
We recommend using Rockbox Utility to install Rockbox on the HDD63x0 series. The following steps are for those who wish to install Rockbox manually.
- Boot the GoGear into UMS mode as descibed above. This makes the device show up as a Mass Storage Device when attached to your PC.
- Extract the rockbox-gogearhdd6330.zip file onto the root of your player, this creates a .rockbox folder on the device.
- On the GoGear, rename /System/FWimage.ebn to OF.ebn and copy the FWImage.ebn you downloaded from the above link into the /System folder on your GoGear.
- Disconnect your device from your computer. It should reboot and launch Rockbox.
Installation steps for HDD16x0
We recommend using Rockbox Utility to install Rockbox on the HDD16x0 series. The following steps are for those who wish to install Rockbox manually.
Boot the GoGear into UMS mode as descibed above. This makes the device show up as a Mass Storage Device when attached to your PC.
Download and extract a build to your player: http://build.rockbox.org/data/rockbox-gogearhdd1630.zip
Download the bootloader: http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/gogear/hdd1630/FWImage.ebn
Extract the rockbox-gogearhdd1630.zip onto the root of your player, this creates a .rockbox folder on the device.
On the GoGear, rename /System/FWimage.ebn to OF.ebn and copy the FWImage.ebn you downloaded from the above link into the /System folder on your GoGear.
Disconnect your device from your computer. It should reboot and launch Rockbox.
Dual boot functionality
Press the MENU button for HDD16X0 and Vol+ for HDD63X0 while booting to boot into the OF.
Copyright © by the contributing authors.