This is superseded by RockboxUtility
The Rockbox Utility (wxwidget version)
This is the Rockbox Utility, it can install and Uninstall Rockbox, the Bootloader and the Fonts. It works on Windows, Linux and Mac. But it needs more testing. Please feel free to try it out.
This version of Rockbox Utility is based on wxwidgets. Recent development concentrated on the Qt port of this tool. Please go to RockboxUtility
for the current in-development version. This old version is completely superseded by RockboxUtility
Rbutil Wxwidgets Version
The Ubuntu Feisty, Ubuntu Gutsy and Debian Unstable packages were done using the patch from FS#7277
. Please try it out and give feedback
To use the Debian package, you need to do the following before installing:
echo "deb http://apt.tt-solutions.com/debian/ etch main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get install libwxgtk2.8-0
The Gentoo ebuild pulls the latest source straight from svn - so is always up to date. Gotta love Gentoo
echo "media-sound/rbutil **" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
For other Linux distributions, you will need to build it yourself from the source.
The source code is now in SVN
, and is stored in the 'rbutil' module. Please submit any patches via the patch tracker
. The forum thread that discusses the Rockbox Utility can be found here
There is also a separate fork in SVN in the 'rbutilqt' module.. this is a rewrite based on the Qt cross-platform ui library instead of the wx library used by the rbutil module. rbutilqt is a work in progress.
Two Screenshots of Rbutil:
Also see DesktopTools
This tool needs heavy testing. Please report any bugs in the bug tracker.
- Talkfile creator
- Many Bugfixes
- Better Autodetection via Patchers and rockbox-info.txt
- Nicer Button images (using PNG)
- Navigation via Tabs should work.
- rbutil now also looks in the config dir and the global config dir for the rbutil.ini, if it doesnt find it in the app dir.
- Installing of the Freedoom Wads
- Support for Sansa E200 (needs testing)
- Bootloader installation and Uninstallation.
- Support for installing to your player, and has an option on the file menu to copy itself over.
- The uninstaller is now considerably more sophisticated.
How to compile
If you fancy having a go at adding features, you'll need the following:
- GCC (MinGW for Windows - I used version 3.4.2)
- wxWidgets (version 2.8.0 or higher - 2.6 will not do)
Optional, but not necessary:
- A recent (i.e. nightly) build of Code::Blocks - or you can just use the Makefile in SVN instead.
Cygwin build instructions
You have to build wxWidgets with following command sequence
- export CFLAGS=-mno-cygwin
- export CXXFLAGS=-mno-cygwin
- export LDFLAGS=-mno-cygwin
- ./configure --build=i686-pc-mingw32 --disable-precomp-headers --without-expat --disable-shared --with-msw
- make install
Mac OS X build instructions
Download wxMac-2.8.0.tar.gz from the download page
and do the following:
tar zxf wxMac-2.8.0.tar.gz
../configure --enable-universal_binary --enable-shared=no
This builds wxMac as a static library including Universal binary support. There is no need to run "make install" - you can use it locally.
Now edit the hard-coded (sorry!) paths at the top of Makefile.macosx in the rbutl source directory, and type:
make -f Makefile.macosx
- Autodetection of the Devices.
- Autodetection already works for Ipods and Sansa, via ipodpatcher and sansapatcher, and if you have installed rockbox, via the rockbox-info.txt file.
- Inclusion of last.fm support.
- Database generation.
- Database view config generator
- Another thing that might not be too difficult would be to add the code for translating the application into other languages.
- Rockbox already has internationalization. You just need to enable it, which could be done by allowing some common setting values to get set.
- I think it means translating rbutil, not rockbox. But a Function to change the rockbox.config would also be nice. -- DominikWenger
- Installing of Voice files, and generating the .talk files for talking dirs and files.
- Installing of Voice files needs generated Voice files from the servers, so the versions fit. -- DominikWenger
- generating the .talk files could be done with some TTS tool (needs to be crossplatform). -- DominikWenger
- Convert HFS+ iPods to FAT32 iPods on request
- Best would be support for this in ipodpatcher. rbutil could then easly use this. -- DominikWenger
- Font Conversion (BDF or from TTF )
- Video conversion (act as a frontend, like WinFF )
- Detect if a new Bootloader is needed, and prompt the User
- needs a way to detect the need for a new bootloader.
- perhaps rbutil itself could just write the bootloader version to .rockbox/bootloader.version ...
- WebUpdate for rbutil (To update rbutil itself).
- There is some Code for this on wxCode.
- Installing of FMPresets.
- Needs Support from the Website. Best would be some sort pf php page which manages this FMPreset files. And no combined zips anymore. -- DominikWenger
- Installation of iconsets, in addition to WPS installation
- iconsets will be treated as parts of themes, so if themes include a iconset, rbutil can install it. -- DominikWenger
- Installing of Unsupported Builds
- ( I dont think this belongs to rbutil. Better would be a function to use a rockbox.zip from the harddrive, instead of downloading). -- DominikWenger
- I agree with Domonoky here. Rbutil is the official tool, so it shouldn't support unofficial methods. If you use an unofficial build you're on your own anyway. -- DominikRiebeling - 12 Jul 2007
- Cleaning of orphan files. Changes like the move of rockbox.* to the /.rockbox folder have caused some confusion, as the old file needs to be removed manually. Maybe maintain a list of deprecated files and remove / move them to some backup folder when updating?
- Maintaining a list is bad, who would maintain this list ? A better Idea for this is, to detect if there is already rockbox installed, and perform an uninstallation, before installing rockbox. ( rbutil can uninstall in a way which removes only files which are installed via rbutil, so configs and such thing will be left on the player). -- DominikWenger - 12 Jul 2007
- Uninstalling of Rockbox themes.
- It is possible to select a "release build" for unreleased platforms using keyboard shortcuts. I'm inclined to think that this will need fixing in wxWidgets (it should be skipping disabled controls when using keyboard navigation). Should only result in a missing file error anyway, so it's a low priority to fix.
- Portable installation is somehow broken.
Copyright © by the contributing authors.